[Turkmath:7328] FW: İSTANBUL BİLGİ ÜNİVERSİTESİ SEMİNERLERİ

Oya Cesur Demir oyac at bilgi.edu.tr
3 Ara 2010 Cum 10:32:53 EET

Assist. Prof. Barış Coşkunüzer

(Koç University)

3 December 2010 Friday, 14:00

Bilgi Üniversitesi Dolapdere Kampüsü, Room: D-132

Title:
Classification of 3-manifolds and the Poincare Conjecture
Abstract:

In the first part of the talk, we will give a brief introduction to geometric topology, and introduce the main problems of the field. In particular, we will describe the famous Poincare Conjecture which is one of the Millenium problems with one million dollars award.

In the second part, we will talk about the classification of 3-manifolds. In particular, we will give a rough outline of Perelman's proof of the Poincare Conjecture and Thurston's Geometrization Conjecture by omitting the technical details.