[Turkmath:6815] FW: İstanbul Bilgi Üniversitesi Matematik Seminerleri

Oya Cesur Demir oyac at bilgi.edu.tr
24 Şub 2010 Çar 15:17:02 EET

Dr. Sinem Çelik Onaran
(Boğaziçi University)
26 February Friday, at 14:00;
Bilgi Üniversitesi Dolapdere Kampüsü, Room:135.
Title:
Knots in Contact Structures and Open Book Decompositions.
 Abstract:
Due to Alexander, it is well known that every closed oriented 3-manifold has an open book decomposition. In the first part of the talk, we will define open book decompositions of 3-manifolds and discuss various examples in detail. Further, we will discuss the importance of the open books in manifold theory, in paticular in contact geometry. There is a useful relationship between open book decompositions and contact 3-manifolds. We will give a brief introduction on contact 3-manifolds and discuss this relationship. In the second part of the talk, we will focus on a class of knots in contact 3-manifolds called Legendrian knots. We will define a new invariant for Legendrian knots using open book decompositions. The invariant is called the support genus of a Legendrian knot. We will present the applications of this invariant and list several open problems related to support genus of Legendrian knots. This talk aims to reach general audience.