[Turkmath:7144] Boğaziçi Matematik İşe Alma Semineri - ilan ekte

ferit.ozturk at boun.edu.tr ferit.ozturk at boun.edu.tr
17 Tem 2010 Cmt 15:11:30 EEST

Konusmalar Ingilizce yapilmaktadir.

Bogazici Mathematics Recruitment Seminar

Finite volume methods for nonlinear hyperbolic conservation laws on manifolds

   Baver Okutmuþtur
Université de Pierre et Marie Curie

Date             : Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Time             : 14:00
Place            : TB 250, Boðaziçi Üniversitesi

Abstract: The first part of presentation is devoted to the study of
finite volume methods for
conservation laws on manifolds. We study first an approach based on a
metric on Lorentzian
manifolds. Our main result establishes the convergence of monotone and
first-order finite volume
schemes for a large class of (space and time) triangulations. Next, we
consider another approach
based on differential forms. We establish a new version of the finite
volume methods which only
requires the knowledge of family of n-volume form on an (n + 1)-manifold.
The second part is concerned with error estimates for finite volume
methods and the
implementation of a model of relativistic compressible fluids. We
consider first nonlinear
hyperbolic conservation laws posed on a Riemannian manifold, and we
establish an L1 -error
estimate for a class of finite volume schemes allowing for the
approximation of entropy solutions to
the initial value problem. Next, we consider the hyperbolic balance
laws posed on a curved
spacetime endowed with a volume form, and, after imposing a natural
Lorentz invariance property
we identify a unique balance law which can be viewed as a relativistic
version of Burgers equation.
Numerical experiments demonstrate the convergence of the proposed
finite volume scheme.

Tea and coffee will be served at 15:00