[Turkmath:7078] T. Hoholdt and G. McGuire-2 June 2010-reminder

Alev Topuzoglu alev at sabanciuniv.edu
1 Haz 2010 Sal 14:04:56 EEST

Hatirlatma/Reminder:

WORKSHOP ON APPLICATIONS OF FINITE FIELDS*
Wednesday, 2 June 2010, 14:00-16:30
Sabanci University Karakoy Communication Center (see the link
<http://www.sabanciuniv.edu/tr/?kampus_hayati/hizmet_ve_olanaklar/karakoy_iletisim_merkezi_adres_ve_ulasim_krokisi.html>

for address and map)

Program
14:00-14:50: Tom Hoholdt (Technical University of Denmark), "On the
decoding of Reed-Solomon codes"
14:50-15:10: Coffee break
15:10-16:00: Gary McGuire (University College Dublin), "Introduction to
the nonlinearity and Fourier transform of functions on finite fields"
16:00-16:30: Discussion

Tom Hoholdt (Technical University of Denmark), "On the decoding of
Reed-Solomon codes"
Abstract: On January 21, 1959, Irving Reed and Gus Solomon submitted a
paper to the Journal of the Society for Industrial and Applied
Mathematics. In June of 1960 the paper was published: five pages with
the title "Polynomial Codes over Certain Finite Fields". This paper
decribed a new class of error-correcting codes that are now called
Reed-Solomon codes. Since then these codes have enjoyed countless
applications, from compact discs and DVD's in living rooms all over the
planet to the spacecrafts that are now well beyond the orbit of Pluto.
In this talk we describe a construction of Reed-Solomon codes and survey
some of the recent developments in the (list-) decoding of this
important class of codes.

Gary McGuire (University College Dublin), "Introduction to the
nonlinearity and Fourier transform of functions on finite fields"
Abstract: We will give an introductory talk on the Fourier transform of
a function on a finite field, and how it provides a measure of the
nonlinearity of the function. We will explain how the nonlinearity and
the Fourier spectrum are important in applications to cryptography and
coding theory. Connections to questions about the number of rational
points on certain curves over finite fields will be outlined and
discussed also.

*Visits of T. Hoholdt and G. McGuire are partly supported by Tubitak.