[Turkmath:6890] Istanbul Ayrik Matematik Toplantilari Nisan Ayi Seminer Duyurusu Hatirlatmasi

Türker BIYIKOĞLU turker.biyikoglu at isikun.edu.tr
31 Mar 2010 Çar 11:33:27 EEST

Istanbul Ayrik Matematik Toplantilari Seminer Duyurusu Hatirlatmasi

Degerli Matematikciler,

Istanbul Ayrik Matematik Toplantilarinin Nisan ayi toplantisi herzaman
oldugu gibi Istanbul Matematiksel Bilimler Merkezinin (IMBM) cok guzel
binasinda olucak.
Nisan ayinda iki konusmamiz olucak ilk toplantimiz  02 Nisan Cuma gunu
saat 11.00'de
Mordo Shalom (Tel Hai Academic College, Israel) "Switching Cost in
Optical Networks
and Traffic Grooming" baslikli bir konusma yapacaktir.

Konusma konusuyla ilgili detaylari asagida ve ekteki ilanda gorebilirsiniz.

Seminer oncesi, saat 10.30'dan itibaren cay-kahve ve kurabiye servisi
olacaktir. Konusmaya herkes davetlidir.

Turker Biyikoglu  Tinaz Ekim-Asici

I M B M istanbul center for mathematical sciences
Istanbul Discrete Mathematics Meetings

Mordo Shalom
Tel Hai Academic College, Israel
Switching Cost in Optical Networks and Traffic Grooming

Abstract
Data transmitted in optical fibers is divided into wavelengths, each of
which
providing a high bandwidth. A typical user needs only a small fraction
(1/g) of this
bandwith or a multiple of it, where g is called the grooming factor.
Given a network
with existing topology described by a graph (or digraph) and a set of
communication
requests over these graph, this model leads to interesting coloring
problems.
We consider coloring problems in which the goal is to minimize some
measure of
the switching cost of the network. We concentrate of two typical measures:
a) The number of ADM s (i.e. line terminating equipment) in the network
b) The number of regenerators in the network In our work we show the
following
results:
- An O(log g) approximation algorithm for the ADM cost, for any fixed g,
where
the graph is a ring, a bounded degree tree, or a directed tree.
- A 4-approximation algorithm for the regenerator problem. The problem is
equivalent to a scheduling problem when the network topology is a path.
When the grooming is given (or equivalently g = 1) we analyze a variant
of the
regenerator optimization problem. We show that it is NP-Hard even under
very
simple settings.