[Turkmath:7411] Bogazici Matematik Araştırma Seminerleri - ilan ekte

ferit.ozturk at boun.edu.tr ferit.ozturk at boun.edu.tr
3 Oca 2011 Pzt 01:11:35 EET

Geçmiþ/gelecek konuþmalar için:
http://www.math.boun.edu.tr/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=49&Itemid=405
Konuþmalar Ýngilizce yapýlmaktadýr.

Bogazici Mathematics Research Seminar

Idempotents in the Eberlein compactification of locally compact abelian groups

Elçim Elgün
University of Waterloo
PhD candidate

Date : Wednesday, January 5, 2011
Time: 14:00
Place: TB 250, Bogazici Universitesi

Abstract: The Eberlein Algebra E of a locally compact group G is defined to be
the uniform closure of the Fourier-Stieltjes algebra of G. E(G) satisfies
certain invariance properties, hence for any locally compact group G,
Eberlein compactification G^E of G can be constructed as the spectrum
of E(G). We proved that for any locally compact abelian G, G^E contains at
least
2^c idempotents. This is an indication of the complexity of the structure
of the semigroup G^E. In this talk, we will study Z^E, the Eberlein
compactification of (Z, +). We will construct a family of 2^c many idempotents
in Z^E, which gives the exact cardinality of the lattice of idempotents in Z^E.

Tea and coffee will be served at 15:00