[Turkmath:7675] Applied Dynamics Group Seminar

ofen at metu.edu.tr ofen at metu.edu.tr
2 Mayıs 2011 Pzt 16:15:32 EEST

Dear all,

You are cordially invited to the seminar entitled "Robust multilevel
preconditioners for highly heterogeneous media" which will be given by
Burak Aksoylu, from Department of Mathematics, TOBB University of
Economics and Technology.

ABSTRACT: The application of interest comes from flow in highly
heterogeneous porous media which involves the solution of diffusion
equation with rough coefficients. Roughness of PDE coefficients causes
loss of robustness of preconditioners. The main goal is to recover
robustness and obtain rigorous structural understanding of the involved
process. A qualitative understanding of the PDE operators and their
dependence on the coefficients is essential for designing preconditioners.
Controlling the infinite dimensional problem provides a basis for the
construction of preconditioners. We use tools from operator theory for
this. On the other hand, we control the discretized problem using singular
perturbation analysis (SPA) which provides valuable insight to the
asymptotic behavior of the solution of the underlying PDE. We construct a
preconditioner based on this feedback and justify its effectiveness
rigorously. Our numerical experiments, including an example derived from
the SPE10 benchmark problem, show that our preconditioning strategy is
computationally comparable to algebraic multigrid both in terms of
iteration count and CPU-time, but with rigorous justification.