[Turkmath:8812] Re: Ramanujan -Tao - Ömer Cerrahoğlu

Semail ULGEN YILDIRIM sulgen at gmail.com
28 Şub 2013 Per 08:53:44 EET

Thanks for the link..
Semail.

Omer Cerrahoglu

One of these is Omer Cerrahoglu. Born in Istanbul but educated in Romania,
fourteen-year-old
Omer distinguished himself in a chain of local and
regional contests and was among the youngest
students at the 2009 IMO, where he received its
highest honor, a gold medal.
I first heard of him from a Romanian mathematician friend in the United
States, then again from
Radu Gologan, the leader of the Romanian team.
Their comments carry weight. Romania is among
the leading countries in the IMO. The very first IMO
was organized by Romania, and they have consistently done well--better than
the size of their
population or their economy would predict--on
these events. So the Romanians have seen it all,
and if they say that this student is outstanding, I
pay attention.
Gologan gave a firsthand description of Omer's
thinking style: "Omer is intuitive. Like Ramanujan,
he looks and sees and writes it down--then later
he proves it. He has gotten many classical results
by himself. I've seen him solve a problem about
the altitudes of a triangle without knowing what
an orthocenter was. 'The altitudes must intersect,
and the intersection has this and this property',
he reasoned, and eventually solved the problem."
But at what cost? Can a fourteen-year-old
personality support a mind like this? Gologan
answered the question before I asked it, starting
with an oxymoron: "He is an extremely normal
kid. His colleagues love him. In the last few days
of preparation, we have a psychologist interview
the students about handling the competition
emotionally, how to remain calm, to allow their
minds to function under pressure, and so on. This
psychologist had not seen a child with Omer's
range of intellectual and emotional maturity. Her
comment? 'If Omer didn't exist we would have to
invent him'."
The important point is that Romania's system
of talent development was able to support Omer.
He lives in the north of Romania, not in the capital.
Because he went to school in Romania, he entered
an Olympiad. The system thus "discovered" him,
then provided him with peers and mentors who
would encourage and reward his achievement.
This is a mature system, typical of those in eastern
Europe, which has been described often before.
4

Semail ULGEN YILDIRIM, PhD

Antalya International  University
Department of Industrial Engineering