[Turkmath:9796] Sabancı Üniv. Math. Colloquium (May 16 Friday, 16:00): Jonathan Jedwab, 3-phase Golay sequence triads

wmeidl wmeidl at sabanciuniv.edu
7 Mayıs 2014 Çar 22:21:15 EEST

Dear All,

please see below the abstract of the Sabancı University Math. Colloquium
talk by
*
Jonathan Jedwab,* Simon Fraser University, Canada*
**Title: *3-phase Golay sequence triads
*Date: *Friday, 16.05.2014, 16:00*
Place:* Sabanci University, Karakoy Minerva Han

Abstract:
Golay sequence pairs have been applied in multislit spectrometry,
optical time domain reflectometry, multicarrier wireless transmission,
and medical ultrasound.
They are closely related to Barker sequences and Reed-Muller codes. In
1990, Eliahou, Kervaire and Saffari used a polynomial formulation to
constrain the possible
length of a Golay sequence pair; no further general nonexistence results
have been found.
3-phase Golay sequence triads were introduced by Frank in 1980, but have
since been largely neglected even though they are particularly suited to
practical implementation.
I shall describe constructions for infinite families of 3-phase Golay
sequence triads, and discuss numerical results suggesting these triads
have a much richer existence
pattern than the more familiar Golay sequence pairs. I shall outline an
elementary argument giving the first general nonexistence result for
3-phase Golay sequence triads.

This is joint work with Aki Avis.

All interested are most welcome.

For directions please see this link