[Turkmath:10084] Joint seminar of Math. Dept. and Inst. App. Math. of METU

Omer Kucuksakalli komer at metu.edu.tr
13 Eki 2014 Pzt 09:49:58 UTC

Dear Colleagues,

You are cordially invited to a joint seminar of Mathematics Department
and Institute of Applied Mathematics of Middle East Technical
University. As part of a Tubitak(112T011)-BMBF project, Stefan
Hellbusch and Christian Neurohr from Universität Oldenburg will give
talks on October 15, Wednesday between 15:40 and 17:30. The talks will
be in Gunduz Ikeda room in Mathematics Department.

With best regards

Stefan Hellbusch, October 15, Wednesday at 15:40 in Gunduz Ikeda Room.

Title: Riemann-Roch on graphs

Abstract: We all know the Riemann-Roch theorem. I will talk about an
analogue on a finite graph by M. Baker and S. Norine in [2] and
related results of F. Shokrieh [3] and myself [1]. As in the classic
case, we get divisors, an equivalence relation and a (abelian) divisor
class group, which is the quotient group of degree 0 divisors and
principal divisors. When fixing a base vertex, in each equivalence
class there is exactly one reduced divisor and the divisor reduction
is related with an interesting, so called, unconstrained chip firing
game. Using Dhar's Burning Algorithm, the reduction can be done fast
and we get an efficient arithmetic in the divisor class group. We will
see some examples and conclude, that for each finite abelian group,
there is a graph with this group as divisor class group. We also give
a short view on a cryptographic perspective and contrary to F.
Shokrieh in [3], we conclude that there are graphs suitable for
cryptography.

Literature:
[1] Stefan Hellbusch, Riemann-Roch Theorie auf Graphen und Anwendungen, 2013
[2] Matthew Baker, Serguei Norine, Riemann-Roch and Abel-Jacobi Theory
on a finite Graph, 2007
[3] Farbod Shokrieh, The monodromy pairing and discrete logarithm on
the Jacobian of finite graphs, 2010

Christian Neurohr, October 15, Wednesday at 16:40 in Gunduz Ikeda Room.

Title: Integration on Riemann Surfaces: Homology

Abstract: The long-term goal of our project is to successfully
implement algorithms in Magma in order to integrate differential form
on Riemann Surfaces. In this talk, we will take a closer look at the
first homology group of a given compact Riemann surface and the
computation of a homology basis. Naturally, its elements, 1-cycles,
are the objects along which differential forms are integrated. An
important part of this is the computation of the monodromy group, for
which we implemented an algorithm similar to the one used in the Maple
package "algcurves".