[Turkmath:833] Seminar by Hatice Boylan at SU

Canan Kasikci (Alumni) canank at sabanciuniv.edu
Wed Dec 2 14:41:48 UTC 2015

Degerli liste uyeleri,

Istanbul Universitesi ogretim uyelerinden Hatice Boylan 8 Aralik Sali gunu
Sabanci Universitesi'nde seminer verecektir. Asagida detaylarini
bulacaginiz etkinlige katiliminiz bizi mutlu edecektir.

iyi gunler dilegiyle

canan kasikci

Ulasim icin:
http://www.sabanciuniv.edu/en/transportation/shuttle-hours

*............................................*

*Title: 2x2 matrices of determinant 1 with integral entries *

*Date/Time/Place: 8 December, 15:45, FENS 2008*

*Abstract*: Already the group SL_2(Z) of 2x2 matrices with integral entries
and determinant 1 provides beautiful and interesting mathematics and still
deep open problems. We shall give an overview over various aspects of this
group, indicate its connections to geometry and number theory, and shall
finally arrive at the theory of its finite dimensional representations. In
the third part of my talk I shall discuss extensions of the theory to
Hilbert modular groups, i.e. groups of 2x2 matrices and determinant 1 with
entries in the ring of integers of a given number field. In particular I
shall describe a few results of my own work in this domain.