[Turkmath:479] Caglar Uyanik at MSGSU, Thursday, May 7, 16:00

Mohan Ravichandran mohan.ravichandran at gmail.com
Mon May 4 13:37:30 UTC 2015

Dear All,

    Caglar Uyanik from UIUC will talk this Thursday at the Mimar Sinan math
department's weekly seminar.

Title: Dynamics of free group automorphisms

 Abstract: The study of outer automorphism group of a free group Out(F) is
closely related to study of Mapping Class Groups. The Out(F) analog of a
pseudo-Anosov homeomorphism is called a fully irreducible. We will talk
about types of fully irreducible elements, geometric and hyperbolic, and
prove that they act on the space of geodesic currents with north-south
dynamics. As an application, we will give a criterion for subgroups of Out(F)
to contain a hyperbolic fully irreducible element using ping-pong type
arguments.

Place : 106, Bomonti campus, MSGSU
Time : 16:00, Thursday, May 7

Best,