[Turkmath:958] Istanbul Diferansiyel Denklemler Seminerleri

Nilay DURUK nilay.duruk at kemerburgaz.edu.tr
Mon Jan 25 09:26:08 UTC 2016

Degerli liste uyeleri,

Istanbul Diferansiyel Denklemler Seminerleri,

5 Şubat Cuma, saat 13.00 da, Sabancı Universitesi Karakoy Minerva Palas binasinda (Bankalar Caddesi 2, Karakoy 34420, Istanbul) basliyor.

Seminerin detaylari asagidadir. Ilgilenen herkes davetlidir.

Nilay Duruk

Konusmaci: Atanas Stefanov, University of Kansas

Baslik: Travelling waves for granular chains

Ozet: In this talk, we consider a model of  granular chains interacting only with the nearest neighbour through a Hertzian force (physically, one should think about an infinite line of tightly packed  metal beads).   This is a highly non-linear model, for which we show that travelling waves  exist. In addition, we show  such waves are bell-shaped and in some cases, they are compactons (i.e. have an unusual double exponential rate of decay). We also consider the same issues for more sophisticated models (with pre-compressed beads), as well as the mass-in-mass system (in which each bead has an internal mass embedded into it).

Our approach is through  calculus of variations for the corresponding non-standard functionals, but some simple Fourier analysis comes into play as well.  This is based on a series of papers with Panos Kevrekidis (University of Massachusetts).