[Turkmath:1484] University of Leicester, Matematik Bolumu hk.

Ozgur ozgince at ymail.com
Sun Sep 18 16:37:13 UTC 2016

Degerli Matematikciler,
Yakin zaman once soyle bir e-posta aldim. Birlesik Krallik'ta University of Leicester Matematik bolumunun kapatilmasi dusunuluyor. Bolum bundan sonra arastirma yapmak yerine sadece universitede gerekli matematik dersleri verilmekle sinirlandirilacak. Bu durum bolumdeki arastirmacilarin onemli bir kisminin islerini kaybetmesi demek.

Bolumun kapatilmamasi konusunda halihazirda baslatilmis bir imza kampanyasi mevcut. Bu konuda destek vereceginizi umarak, sizinlerle paylasmak istedim.

Imza kampanyasi icin: http://speakout.web.ucu.org.uk/no-cuts-no-confidence-at-university-of-leicester/

(NOT: Yukarda vedigim baglantinin calismamasi ihtimaline karsi, baglantiyi kopyalayip tarayiciniza yapistirarak acmayi deneyiniz)

Selamlar,
Ozgur Ince

---------------Dear topologists,

Some of you will be aware of the unhappy situation in the Leicester department of mathematics but this deserves a wider circulation, I believe.

Apparently as a result of a poor showing in REF2014 (stands for Research Excellence Framework, an exercise conducted across UK universities to assess research strength every 6-7 years), the new management of the University of Leicester decided that its mathematics department should be re-oriented towards teaching and away from research, so that almost all academic members should re-apply for their current jobs, and a significant number will not keep them. The department still makes a significant surplus and I understand that there is no question of closing it down.

This is quite an unusual situation but the current tendency in the UK academic sector (and, seemingly, elsewhere in the world) is that the university should be run as businesses; I fear we will hear more about such cases.

If you want to support our colleagues in Leicester, consider signing an online petition:

http://www2.le.ac.uk/institution/unions/ucu/news/no-redundancies-no-confidence

Or you can write to the Leicester Vice-Chancellor:

        Professor Paul Boyle
        President and Vice-Chancellor
        University of Leicester
        University Road,