[Turkmath:4411] Gebze Teknik Üniversitesi Matematik Bölümü Genel Seminerleri

Gtu math mathgtu at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 20:44:25 UTC 2020

Sayin Liste Üyeleri,
Gebze Teknik Üniversitesi (GTÜ) Matematik Bölümü Genel Seminerleri
kapsamında, 13 Mart Cuma günü saat 14:00'da Şükrü Yalçınkaya (İstanbul
Üniversitesi) bir seminer verecektir. Seminerin detayları aşağıda olup tüm
ilgilenenler davetlidir.
Saygılarımızla.

Dear all,
There will be a seminar in Gebze Technical University (GTU) on 13th of
March by Şükrü Yalçınkaya (İstanbul University).

Time and place: At 14:00 in Department of Mathematics, Lecture Room 3

Title: Recognition Algorithms for Finite Groups

Abstract:  Over the last few decades, there has been a major interest in
computational group theory to produce efficient recognition algorithms for
matrix groups over finite fields. In this talk, I will focus on the black
box set up, that is, the groups are encrypted in 0-1 strings of uniform
length, and group operations, taking inverses and comparing elements for
equality are performed by a black box. I will discuss the fundamental
difficulties in matrix groups and present a uniform approach for an
efficient recognition of finite groups of Lie type of odd characteristic. I
will also discuss a solution of a long standing open problem of
constructing a unipotent element in black box groups of Lie type.
This is a joint work with Alexandre Borovik.