[Turkmath:5306] Koç Üniversitesi - Mathematics Seminar - December 14th

Asgar Jamneshan AJAMNESHAN at ku.edu.tr
Mon Dec 13 06:47:53 UTC 2021

Dear all,

We would like to cordially invite you to this week's mathematics seminar at Koç University.  Everyone is welcome to attend.  Please write an email to me at ajamneshan at ku.edu.tr<mailto:ajamneshan at ku.edu.tr> to receive the zoom link.  The details of this week's talk may be found below.

Best regards,

Asgar Jamneshan

KOÇ UNIVERSITY MATH SEMINAR

Speaker          : Luka Milićević, Mathematical Institute of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts

Title                 : Bilinear Bogolyubov Argument in Abelian Groups

Date                : Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Time             : 14:30-15:40 (on Zoom)

Abstract:

Bilinear Bogolyubov argument states that if we start with a dense set A of a product U x V of finite vector spaces and carry out sufficiently many steps where we replace every row or every column of A by the set difference of it with itself, then inside the resulting set we obtain a bilinear variety of codimension bounded in terms of the density of A. In this talk, we focus on a generalization of this theorem to arbitrary finite abelian groups. Along the way we also discuss analogues of a few linear-algebraic facts as well as quasirandomness of analogues of bilinear varieties in the setting of finite abelian groups.

The Mathematics Seminar schedule can be found at https://mysite.ku.edu.tr/math-sci/ .

Asgar Jamneshan, Department of Mathematics, Koç University