[Turkmath:5038] ​"Stable Homotopy around the Arf-Kervaire Invariant"

yilmaz akyildiz yilmaz.akyildiz at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 18:00:38 UTC 2021

What to say about Vic Snaith? Who can forget his British enunciation, lit
up by his unique witty delivery? In around 1991 there was a conference
somewhere in Britain. Vic gleefully led a group of us to a bookstore window
to show off copies of his recently published novel "The Yukiad." If you act
quickly you can still pick up a used copy in very good condition from
ThriftBooksVintage! His "Post-retirement" website contains more recent
excursions into fiction, as well as a profusion of new mathematics. Vic
showed amazing prescience by publishing a book "Stable Homotopy around the
Arf-Kervaire Invariant" in 2009, just in time to serve as background and
foil for HHR. He highlighted the fact that he might be discussing mythical
beasts with frequent quotes from Lewis Carroll. His peculiar constructions
of K and MUP have now joined his splitting theorem in the very foundations
of our subject. You can see how his love of contra dancing influenced his
mathematics from the illustration made by his wife Carolyn, reproduced
(along with photos of Vic with and without beard) on Doug's 2010 MFO
account of HHR. A great guy, I'll miss him.

- Haynes Miller