[Turkmath:4880] Seminar on May 7, 2021 at 13:00 via Zoom

Mehmet Akif Erdal mehmet.erdal at yeditepe.edu.tr
Wed May 5 15:19:44 UTC 2021

Dear list members,

You are most cordially invited to the Yeditepe Mathematics Department 25th
Year Seminars organized by the Department of Mathematics. The details of
this week's talk are as follows:

Speaker: Alexander Degtyarev (Bilkent University)

Title: Counting lines, curves, planes... in algebraic varieties

Abstract: I will start from several classical but very simple, almost high
school level, examples of algebraic varieties containing many lines,
planes, etc. These varieties are very special, as a typical one from the
same family would have no lines at all. This brings up a natural problem of
finding the *maximal* possible number of lines, planes, etc. that can be
contained in a member of a fixed family (say, hypersurfaces of a given
dimension and degree). In general, this problem is wide open, but I will
describe an approach that lets one attack it for a wide variety of
seemingly unrelated families. Finally, if time permits, I will cite a few
recent results.