[Turkmath:5746] Symbolic Computation Istanbul Meetings - Fall 2022 Registration

Can Ozan Oğuz canozanoguz at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 09:38:38 UTC 2022

     Dear all,

We are happy to announce that we will start our Symbolic Computation
Istanbul Meetings (SCIM) this week with Maria Chlouveraki's talk (see the
details below). Please fill the registration form
<https://forms.gle/Pqp5Yr3neYNYkF9y8> if you would like to join SCIM online
or in person.

Our seminars remain as a biweekly event on Fridays at 17:00, but our
location has changed. We will be meeting at our new location, Galatasaray
University, room I-219 at Yiğit Okur Building (Ortakoy, Istanbul). In
person participants should plan to be at the gates at least 15 minutes
before the talk starts since it takes some time to reach the conference
room on campus.

The meetings are open to all students and researchers interested in the
area of symbolic computation. The meetings will be available online through
zoom, but we strongly encourage you to join us in person. One of the main
goals of SCIM is to allow people interested in symbolic computation to meet
and exchange ideas.

After the seminar, the plan is to have dinner. Students are encouraged to
join. This seminar series is supported as part of the IMU-CDC Project "Training
Mathematicians in Turkey in Computation
<https://sites.google.com/view/matematikcilericinhesaplama/ana-sayfa>".

For more information please check https://alcyon-lab.gitlab.io/lab/scim.html

September 23, 2022 Friday 17:00
Speaker: Maria Chlouveraki (University of Athens)

Title: On the reality of complex reflection groups (and their associated
Hecke algebras)

Abstract: Real reflection groups are the groups of symmetry of real-life
objects, and their Hecke algebras appear naturally in the study of finite
algebraic groups. Real reflection groups are particular cases though of
complex reflection groups, whose Hecke algebras were defined by Broué,
Malle and Rouquier over 20 years ago, and have since become a subject of
research in their own right. Even though numerous results in the past two
decades indicate that these objects behave in the complex case similarly to
the real one, most of their properties are hard to prove and demand a
case-by-case analysis. Symbolic computation has been a powerful ally to
representation theorists, and in this talk we will discuss how it was used
to prove some of the most fundamental conjectures concerning the structure
of Hecke algebras associated with complex reflection groups.

Join Zoom Meeting

https://us06web.zoom.us/j/81633938937?pwd=WkFZdkozQUNZeU9mN1hFclpMWFduQT09

Meeting ID: 816 3393 8937

Passcode: symbolic