[Turkmath:6376] FGC-IPM-HRI number theory[Haydar Goral][Feb 21]

kazimilhan.ikeda kazimilhan.ikeda at bogazici.edu.tr
Fri Feb 16 05:26:24 UTC 2024

Değerli matematikçiler,

Aşağıda Feza Gürsey Fizik ve Matematik UygAr Merkezinin HRI ve IPM ile
zoom üzerinden ortak tertiplediği Sayılar Teorisi Seminer Dizisi
bünyesinde 21 Şubat 2024 (önümüzdeki Çarşamba günü)

saat 17:00'da yapılacak konuşmanın detaylarını bulacaksınız.

İyi çalışmalar,

ilhan ikeda

--------------------

Dear all,

Our next talk is on February 21, Wednesday by Haydar Goral from Izmir
Technology Institute.
Please find the details of his talk below.

Speaker: Haydar Goral, Izmir, Turkey
Title: Counting arithmetic progressions modulo p

Abstract: In 1975, Szemeredi gave an affirmative answer to Erdös and
Turan's conjecture which states that any subset of positive integers
with a positive upper density contains arbitrarily long arithmetic
progressions. Szemeredi-type problems have also been extensively studied
in subsets of finite fields. While much work has been done on the
problem of whether subsets of finite fields contain arithmetic
progressions, in this talk we concentrate on how many arithmetic
progressions we have in certain subsets of finite fields. The technique
is based on certain types of Weil estimates. We obtain an asymptotic for
the number of k-term arithmetic progressions in squares with a better
error term. Moreover our error term is sharp and best possible when k is
small, owing to the Sato-Tate conjecture. This work is supported by the
Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey with the project
number 122F027.