[Turkmath:6681] Istanbul Ayrik Matematik Toplantilari Seminer Duyurusu

Türker BIYIKOĞLU turker.biyikoglu at isikun.edu.tr
26 Kas 2009 Per 10:35:50 EET

Istanbul Ayrik Matematik Toplantilari Seminer Duyurusu

Degerli Matematikciler,

Istanbul Ayrik Matematik Toplantilarinin ikincisi herzaman oldugu gibi
Istanbul Matematiksel Bilimler Merkezinin (IMBM) cok guzel binasinda
olucak.
Bu yilki son toplantimizda 4 Aralik Cuma gunu saat 11.00'de
Tuğkan Batu (London School of Economics, UK)  "Introduction to
Aproximation Algorithms"
baslikli bir konusma yapacaktir.
Konusma konusuyla ilgili detaylari asagida ve ekteki ilanda gorebilirsiniz.

Seminer oncesi, saat 10.30'dan itibaren cay-kahve ve kurabiye servisi
olacaktir. Konusmaya herkes davetlidir.

Be vesileyle herkese iyi bayramlar ve tatiller

Turker Biyikoglu  Tinaz Ekim-Asici

I M B M istanbul center for mathematical sciences
Istanbul Discrete Mathematics Meetings

Introduction to Aproximation Algorithms
Tuğkan Batu
London School of Economics, UK

Abstract
In the first part of my talk, I will present a brief introduction to
approximation
algorithms. In addition to introducing some fundamental notions and examples
from the topic, I will try to visit a few of the common techniques used
in the design
of approximation algorithms.
In the second part of my talk, I will describe a sublinear-time asymptotic
approximation scheme for the bin packing problem. The bin packing
problem is defined
as follows: given a set of n items with sizes 0 < w_1,...,w_n<=1, find a
packing
of these items into minimum number of unit-size bins possible. I will
present an
algorithm A_epsilon for any epsilon> 0, that has sampling access to the
input instance and
outputs a value k such that Copt <= k <=   (1 + epsilon) Copt + 1,
where Copt is the cost of
an optimal solution. (The second part of the talk is based on a joint
publication
with Petra Berenbrink and Christian Sohler.)