[Turkmath:7375] FW: Bugun - Selman Akbulut - IMBM - 14:00

BARIS COSKUNUZER BCOSKUNUZER at ku.edu.tr
17 Ara 2010 Cum 07:45:07 EET

Hatirlatma..

From: Betul Tanbay [tanbay at boun.edu.tr]
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:00 PM
Subject: 17 aralik cuma IMBM - hatirlatma

Date: Friday, December 17, 2010
Time: 14:00
Place: IMBM Seminar Room

Dolgachev Surfaces
Selman Akbulut
Michigan State University

Abstract
Are there exotic copies of S4 or CP2? It is known that if they exist they must contain 1- or 3-handles. About 25 years ago Donaldson gave the first example of an exotic smooth 4-manifold, i.e. he proved that Dolgachevs
complex surface E(1)2,3 is an exotic copy of CP2#9(-CP2); right about the same time Harer Kas and Kirby wrote a book about E(1)2,3 where they conjectured that it must contain 1- or 3-handles. We will discuss the recent solution of this conjecture (in the negative).

In this context we will relate the proof to corks and plugs, which are roughly freely floating particles in 4-manifolds determining their exotic structures.