[Turkmath:7398] Bogazici Matematik Carsamba Seminerleri - ilan ekte

ferit.ozturk at boun.edu.tr ferit.ozturk at boun.edu.tr
25 Ara 2010 Cmt 21:23:18 EET

Geçmiş/gelecek konuşmalar için:
http://www.math.boun.edu.tr/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=49&Itemid=405
Konuşmalar İngilizce yapılmaktadır.

BOĞAZİÇİ MATHEMATICS RESEARCH SEMINAR

Comparison of Teichmuller geodesics and Weil-Petersson geodesics

Ali Göktürk
Brown University

Date : Wednesday, December 29, 2010
Time: 14:00
Place: TB 250, Bogazici Universitesi

Abstract: Let S be a surface with genus g and n punctures and let χ(S) =
3g
+ n denote the
complexity of the surface S. In this talk we prove that in the Teichm ̈
ller space T (S), Teichmuller
geodesics and Weil-Petersson geodesics with the same pair of end points are
fellow-travelers with
respect to the Weil-Petersson metric if and only if &#967;(S) < 6. More
precisely, we show that if &#967;(S) < 6
then there is a constant N such that for any X,Y in T (S), the Teichm &#776;
ller geodesic connecting X to Y
lies in an N-neighborhood (in the Weil-Petersson metric) of the Weil-Petersson
geodesic connecting
X to Y. On the other hand we show the opposite of the above statement for
surfaces with &#967;(S) > 5.

Tea and coffee will be served at 15:00