[Turkmath:1297] Gebze Technical University, Department of Mathematics Colloquium

Tülay Yıldırım tyildirim at gtu.edu.tr
Mon May 9 07:17:28 UTC 2016

Sayın liste üyeleri,

Gebze Teknik Üniversitesi, Matematik Bölümü Genel Seminerleri kapsamında,

13 Mayıs Cuma günü saat 14:00'da Yrd. Dr. Fatih ECEVİT
(Boğaziçi Üniversitesi) Matematik Bölümü seminer salonunda bir seminer

verecektir. Seminerin detayları aşağıda olup tüm ilgilenenler davetlidir.

Başlık: Frequency-adapted boundary element methods for single-scattering problems

Özet: We introduce a class of hybrid boundary element methods for the solution of sound soft scattering problems. To facilitate the applicability of our algorithms throughout the entire frequency spectrum, we have enriched our Galerkin approximation spaces, through incorporation of oscillations in the incident field of radiation, into the algebraic and trigonometric polynomial approximation spaces. We utilize, alternatively, a change of variables around the transition regions so as to guarantee that the approximation spaces are adapted to the asymptotic behavior of solutions.The resulting methodologies have three distinctive properties. Indeed, from a theoretical point of view, they can be tuned to demand only an O(k^a) increase (for any a > 0) in the number of degrees of freedom to maintain a fixed accuracy with increasing wavenumber k. Perhaps more importantly, from a practical point of view, they give rise to linear systems with significantly enhanced condition numbers and this, in turn, allows for more accurate solutions if desired.

Saygılarımızla,

Dear all,

There will be a seminar in Gebze Technical University  on 13th of
May by  Assistant. Dr. Fatih ECEVİT (Bosphorus University)
Time  and  place:  At 14:00 in Department of Mathematics  Building I, Auditorium.

Title: Frequency-adapted boundary element methods for single-scattering problems

Abstract: We introduce a class of hybrid boundary element methods for the solution of sound soft scattering problems. To facilitate the applicability of our algorithms throughout the entire frequency spectrum, we have enriched our Galerkin approximation spaces, through incorporation of oscillations in the incident field of radiation, into the algebraic and trigonometric polynomial approximation spaces. We utilize, alternatively, a change of variables around the transition regions so as to guarantee that the approximation spaces are adapted to the asymptotic behavior of solutions.The resulting methodologies have three distinctive properties. Indeed, from a theoretical point of view, they can be tuned to demand only an O(k^a) increase (for any a > 0) in the number of degrees of freedom to maintain a fixed accuracy with increasing wavenumber k. Perhaps more importantly, from a practical point of view, they give rise to linear systems with significantly enhanced condition numbers and this, in turn, allows for more accurate solutions if desired.