[Turkmath:3329] Bilkent Matematik Seminerleri 22.10.2018

Bilkent Mathematics bilmath at fen.bilkent.edu.tr
Mon Oct 22 06:05:42 UTC 2018

Değerli liste üyeleri,

Bilkent Matematik Seminerleri kapsamında 22 Ekim 2018'de iki konuşma yer
almaktadır:

10:40 Cebir Semineri: Baran Zadeoğlu (Bilkent) "The replacement property for
finite groups"

Özet: There is an ongoing effort to create a theory for groups and their
generating sequences analogous to vector spaces and their basis. In this
framework, one can define a generalized replacement property that applies to
finite groups. Even though this property does not hold in general for
groups, it does hold for large classes of groups, such as nilpotent groups.
This talk aims to give overlay some of the methods currently known to
investigate whether the replacement property holds or not. The topic of
generating sets of finite groups, in general, are understudied and has many
open research problems. The main references for this talk are not yet
published but will be public on arxiv in the following months, under the
authorship of Dan Collins. At this moment, some indirect references are: A.
Lucchini. Finite soluble groups satisfying the replacement property, 2017
Dan Collins. Generating Sequences of Finite groups, Senior Thesis, 2010

13:40 Topoloji Semineri: Matthew Gelvin (Bilkent) "(Co)homology as a functor
and the transfer map"

Özet: In this talk we will begin exploring the relationship between the
(co)homology of different groups. We will see that a group map f:G -> G'
induces a covariant map f_*: H_*(G) -> H_*(G') and a contravariant map f^*:
H^*(G') -> H^*(G). In the case that G is a subgroup of G' and f is the
inclusion, we will also discuss a "wrong-way" transfer map, having the
opposite variance of what would be expected. Time permitting, we will end by
drawing a connection to the group-theoretic notion of transfer.

*In this semester, we follow Brown's Cohomology of Groups which can be
downloaded from https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9780387906881.

Konuşmalar Matematik Bölümü Seminer odasında (SA-141) yapılacak ve
sonrasında çay-kurabiye ikramı olacaktır. İlgilenen herkes davetlidir.

Bilkent Matematik