[Turkmath:5971] Spectrum of the Riemannian Laplacian on the round n-dimensional sphere - Differential Geometry Seminar - Feb 10, 16:00 (IST)

Mustafa Kalafat kalafg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 11:43:51 UTC 2023

Dear All,

We are sorry for the great disaster.
I hope it causes to take general decisions and better planning,
making shorter buildings and population control.

Below is the advertisement for today's talk in the Geometry seminar.

stay healthy...

m. kalafat

Spectrum of the Riemannian Laplacian on the round n-dimensional sphere

Using the spherical harmonic functions we understand the eigenvalues
and eigenvectors of the Laplacian on the round 2-sphere also the
general n-sphere. (1) contains explicit descriptions of the
eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the standard basic manifolds including
the n-sphere. Of historical interest is the treatment in what is
arguably the first textbook on physics by Tait and Thomson. The latter
(a.k.a. Lord Kelvin) used it to estimate the age of the sun.
Inaccurately, but not due to errors in the mathematics, thermonuclear
reactions hadn’t yet been discovered.[MO]