[Turkmath:8165] Istanbul Ayrik Matematik Toplantilari Subat Ayi Seminer Duyurusu

Türker BIYIKOĞLU turker.biyikoglu at isikun.edu.tr
14 Şub 2012 Sal 11:41:58 EET

Istanbul Ayrik Matematik Toplantilari Seminer Duyurusu

Degerli Matematikciler,

Istanbul Ayrik Matematik Toplantilari Subat ayi toplantisi herzaman
oldugu gibi Istanbul Matematiksel Bilimler Merkezinin (IMBM) cok guzel
binasinda olucak.
Subat ayi toplantimiz 17 Subat Cuma gunu saat 11.00'de
Arman Boyaci (Bogazici Universitesi) "Some Graph Classes Related to
Telecommunication Networks" baslikli bir konusma yapacaktir.

Konusma konusuyla ilgili detaylari asagida ve ekteki ilanda gorebilirsiniz.

Seminer oncesi, saat 10.30'dan itibaren cay-kahve ve kurabiye servisi
olacaktir. Konusmaya herkes davetlidir.

Turker Biyikoglu  Tinaz Ekim-Asici

I M B M istanbul center for mathematical sciences
Istanbul Discrete Mathematics Meetings

Arman Boyaci
Some Graph Classes Related to Telecommunication Networks
Bogazici Universitesi

Abstract
Given a tree and a set P of non-trivial simple paths of it, Vpt(P) is
the VPT graph
(i.e. the vertex intersection graph) of P, and Ept(P) is the EPT graph
(i.e. the
edge intersection graph) of P. Main motivation to study these graphs
comes from
telecommunication networks and since 1980s they have been extensively
studied
in the literature. In this talk, we will cover complexity results of
some important
decision/optimization problems in VPT and EPT.
Given two (edge) intersecting paths in a graph, their split nodes is the
set of nodes
having degree at least 3 in their union. A pair of (edge) intersecting
paths is termed
non-splitting if they have no split nodes, in other words their union is
either a
path or a cycle. We recently defined a new graph class related to EPT
graph, the
edge intersection graph of non-splitting paths Eptn(P), termed the EPTN
graph,
as the graph having a vertex for each path in P, and an edge between
every pair
of intersecting and non-splitting paths. A graph G is an EPTN graph if
there is
a tree T and a set of paths P of T such that G = Eptn(P), and we say that
<T,P> is a representation of G. These graphs are of interest in
all-optical networks
using wavelength division multiplexing (WDM) technology, in which paths of a
graph have to be colored, such that the set of paths in each color are
pairwise
non-splitting. Although Eptn(P) is a partial subgraph of Ept(P) which is
in turn
a partial subgraph of Vpt(P), EPTN graphs apparently have a more complex
structure than EPT graphs. In the talk, we also present some partial
results related
to EPTN recognition problem.