[Turkmath:4708] Seminar on December 11 2020 via Google Meet

Mehmet Akif Erdal mehmet.erdal at yeditepe.edu.tr
Wed Dec 9 19:09:53 UTC 2020

Dear list members,

You are most cordially invited to the first E-seminar of this semester,
organized by the Department of Mathematics, Yeditepe University.

Title: On complex 4-nets

Speaker: Ali Ulaş Özgür Kişisel (Middle East Technical University)

Abstract: Nets are certain special line arrangements in the plane and they
occur in various contexts related to algebraic geometry, such as resonance
varieties, homology of Milnor fibers and fundamental groups of curve
complements. We will investigate nets in the complex projective plane
$\mathbb{CP}^2$. Let $m\geq 3$ and $d\geq 2$ be integers. An $(m,d)$-net is
a pencil of degree $d$ algebraic curves in $\mathbb{CP}^2$ with a base
locus of exactly $d^2$ points, which degenerates into a union of $d$ lines
$m$ times. It was conjectured that the only $4$-net is a $(4,3)$-net called
the Hessian arrangement. I will outline our proof together with A. Bassa of
this conjecture.