[Turkmath:5821] FGC-HRI-IPM Number Theory Seminars::Haydar Goral [IYTE][Nov 7, 2022 at 16:00]

Özlem Ejder ozlemejderff at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 07:08:43 UTC 2022

Dear all,

FGC-HRI-IPM is a joint online seminar that is held twice a month on Mondays
at 4pm Istanbul time between Feza Gürsey Institute (Istanbul)-IPM
(Tahran)-HRI (Allahabad).

Haydar Goral (IYTE) is our speaker in the FGC-HRI-IPM Number Theory Seminar
this upcoming week. Join us on *November 7, Monday at 4pm. *
The zoom link is

*Zoom link:* https://us06web.zoom.us/j/85613860958
*Meeting ID:* 856 1386 0958

You can find the abstract and title below.

*Title:* Lehmer’s conjecture via model theory

*Abstract:* In this talk, we first introduce the height function and the
Mahler measure on the field of algebraic numbers. We state and give a
survey on Lehmer’s conjecture for the Mahler measure, which is still an
open problem. Then, we consider the field of algebraic numbers with
elements of small Mahler measures in terms of model theory, and we link
this theory with Lehmer’s conjecture.  Our approach is based on Van der
Waerden's theorem from additive combinatorics.